Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Super Foods to the Rescue!

     Today I had the opportunity to go to a free nutrition class being offered in my area. Dr. Anna Yuschak kindly provided us with all kinds of great information about Super Foods. You know, those foods that we often turn our nose up at because we think it doesn't taste as yummy as we'd like. Well, let me tell you folks, she gave us a sample of a Chocolate Truffle that she made which was packed with nutrients that we don't get near enough of, and that thing was so delicious. Seriously, nothing about that truffle screamed "health food". Even my three year old tasted it and said, "Mmmm, chocolate bar".

    Here is the recipe for that delicious truffle created by Dr. Anna Yuschak:

2 cups Superflour
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup raw cocoa powder
1/4 cup goji berries (ground in a blender or coffee grinder)
1 tbsp of nut butter
Shredded Coconut (optional, just used to coat the outside)

  Combine all the ingredients together until well mixed. Form into small balls. Roll in the shredded coconut. Set in fridge for about 15 minutes.

 ~The sample that she gave us, I believe, were rolled in sesame seeds instead of coconut


   Not only did Dr. Yuschak provide great information about healthy foods to incorporate into our meals for my child, but she also gave me some great information regarding my PCOS (see previous blog for more info regarding this). She told me about Maca root, which helps women with infertility and menopause. It boosts your endocrine system and is an anti-depressant. She also mentioned that adding Zinc to both my and my husbands vitamin intake would aid in fertility as well.

   I am excited to start incorporating all of this new healthy food into our diets. Although, I don't feel that we are all that unhealthy with the way that we currently eat. We have pretty much cut out all processed foods from our meals. We have lots of fruits and veggies and try to do at least one meatless meal per week. I would like to do more of these per week, but its hard convincing a meat and potatoes kind of guy that a plate without a hunk of meat on it is dinner. My son is great at eating healthily. He loves berries and fruits and any kind of veggie. He will usually pick these over other junk foods. I never allow him to be picky and he must taste everything at least once. Sometimes we get some resistance on that but we just don't give in and let him get his way. For instance, I saw some interesting fruits in Wegmans the other day and picked them up for us to try. I purchased a guava (I've only ever had guava flavored things and not the actual fruit), a rambutan (which is a spiky looking thing), and a mangosteen (which kind of looks like a nut). So far we have tried both the rambutan and the mangosteen which are both surprisingly sweet! I encourage everyone to step outside of their comfortable little boxes and try new things. What are some unusual fruits or foods that you've found you like? Any that we should give a try?

3 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious, bug where do we get super flour from? The Super market?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one smart cookie! And a mighty handsome one too! I'd take a bite outta that! But yes, I imagine a "super" market would carry it. Especially one of the healthy type one's such as Harvest Market or maybe even Wegman's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, and for those that don't know, the above blogger is my husband. :p

    ReplyDelete